Well, we have been through lockdown and, as a family, we have been shielding for most of the time, which means not going out or seeing anyone else. I have made quite a few models in that time but got out of the habit of posting here, yet again. I am making a new start, now that the Covid restrictions are slowly being removed. That said, I had a £50 Hannants voucher for my birthday back in March so I took advantage of the restrictions last Saturday. Hannants are still closed to visits but do provide a click and collect and there was me with a £50 voucher and a new car! Saturday was the day that I drove to Lowestoft and back. It always used to annoy me, when I had SBX Model Shop, that people could drive the 45 miles to Hannants and back on a Saturday rather than coming in to me, but now that I am retired I am happy to do the same thing. Mind you the nearest other model shop is in Colchester and they carry very little that I would want.
I am not one to own a stash but currently I have a little one building - Tamiya 1/48th P38, Hobby Boss 1/48 RN Avenger and now an Airfix 1/72 Beaufort and 1/48th RAF Sabre. I will pass me thoughts on the P-38 later as I am reluctant to start that one. I have had it for nearly 2 years and it remains in the box.
Right, thoughts over, what have I been doing this month. I am having a restart on some 54mm figurines, I haven't done a 54mm since way back in 1973 so I was worried that my skills(??) on 1/10th busts might not translate. I picked up a Beneito Miniatures British soldier from the Mahdist War in the Sudan - specifically from the Battle of Ginnis in 1886. I liked it because of the informal pose.
- As explained, a major problem using the 3D printed panel
- I have had to leave off the red walk lines on the wings because I placed the upper stars and bars on without realising that the red lines needed to be in place. As a result, if I had fitted the red lines, they would have overlaid the bars!
- I forgot to mask the windows on the doors before spraying them and, now, the windows are a little on the hazy side and I had trouble cleaning them. Some Future has helped a little.
- There are two decals that are marked where I have been using some MEK to glue things and got it on my finger. This has dissolved some Olive Drab paint which has then got onto two decals. One on the port fuselage stars and bars and the other on the port side door decal.
- Biggest of all, but the one that can be fixed, is the lack of enough "liquid lead" in the nose so we now have a tail sitter. I have ordered a Noys Miniatures sheet of 1/72 sheet of PSP (yes, stupidly 1/72 and NOT 1/48) from Hannants. I will use this as a base and then I can stick the nose down - job done!