Sunday, November 29, 2009

Still no camera

Well my camera saga continues. I bought a charger from a UK web site, only to find that the charger was coming from Hong Kong, which took 10 days. When it arrived, it seems that I didn't notice the B on the end of the battery type and the B doesn't fit the standard charger. So.... I had to buy a replacement fitting, for which I paid extra to have it shipped in 3 days. It is now 8 days and no sign of it. My wife, Valerie, to make a point, bought one on Saturday for 1/2 the price with UK shipping so maybe, just maybe, I might get the visual side of this working again in a few days.

I finished the Little Moon Crow girl and took all three of the current figures to the club last Tuesday. That is the B-17 Waist Gunner, the Sioux Indian and Little Moon. As they were the only figures there, I might actually get some points. I did get some complimentary remarks.

I am now working on a Pili Pili bust of Geronimo (If Geronimo did a parachute jump, what would he shout as he left the plane?). I then have a Young Miniatures Afrika Korps bust to do, although I am a little intimidated by the complexity of the headset which is a composite of resin, etched brass and copper wire! I also need to complete the 6-wheel Tyrell, which currently has the engine mounted so is close to finishing. My next major project, I hope, is the Trumpeter 1/12 scale GT40 but this depends on my hints for Xmas presents.

My secret project is moving on well and is close to completion. When I can, I will publicise it but not until after Christmas. It has, however, been coated in the new Pledge Multi-Surface Wax - the replacement for Johnson's Klear/Future. I have to say that, in spite of the new product being cloudy (hence the change of name from klear, I guess) and having a much nicer smell, it works exactly the same as the old stuff.

My next experimental project is to get to grips with a product called Parafilm M which is a non-adhesive based film which appears to be excellent for masking.

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

No Pictures but...

My new camera has run out of battery and I can't find the charger...
Photos will follow, eventually!

I am continuing to prove the idea that I can no longer make model aircraft. In an attempt earlier in the year to disprove this theory, I managed to make a good fist of an Israeli F-16b. So, I thought that if I stuck to 1/72 then I might stand a chance. Airfix has just recently released two new spitfire moulds. I liked the PRXIX so had a go. the following is the list of errors:
1. Speaking to Ken Withey - one of my regular customers, I mentioned I was doing this. The subject of PRU blue came up. I mentioned that only a small part of the plane was in that blue and Ken pointed out that I had it wrong - the bulk of the plane was blue with only the wings grey. So back to the airbrush!
2. We had just taken delivery of a new book on modelling techniques which has a lot of talk about panel lines. So I tried their techniques and messed up the fuselage and I managed to rub some of the paint away, in spite of a couple of coats of Johnson's Future/Klear. The wings came up ok though.
3. (And this is the clincher) Whilst painting the canopy, I crushed it so that it split down the middle!

End of story...................

Photos will follow.

I am now working on a secret project - nothing to be seen until after Xmas - and on yet another Native American - this time it is a 120mm Pili Pili casting of a Crow Indian child. Again - photos as soon as I can charge my camera up.