Friday, December 21, 2018

Figures, Figures and still more figures

Since spending some money on new figurines, I decided that I should finish off those that have been sitting there half complete for a couple of years.

Firstly I will cover my painting of the first two Scale75 figures. I have already covered the painting of the Coldstream Guardsman and now I will discuss the painting of the Brunswick hussar. This figure had to be painted almost entirely in black so I purchased a box of Scale75 black-and-white paint set which gave me the various shades that I needed. My friend Mark showed me how to paint very fine lines so I pulled out the trusty paint brushes that he purchase for me and off I went. As an experiment I purchased a Trumpeter turntable. I made some videos of my figurines turning on the turntable to put them in as good a light as I could. I also downloaded some royalty free music to go along with the video.

First off then is the Brunswick Hussar. This is a figure of a soldier that fought at the Battle of Waterloo and went very nicely with my Coldstream Guardsman.

Having finished this off, I purchased a 90 mm Metal figure from Alexandros Models in Greece. This is of a Japanese troll called One-Ni- Kanabo. It is sometime since I have made a metal figurine and it was obvious that this was going to take some effort to hold whilst painting and also in putting together. I drilled holes in each of the major parts and superglued brass wire into them so that I had something to hold on to whilst painting. As with all my figurines nowadays I gave it a coat of Tamiya white primer which gives a very good base for all my acrylic paints. I had to get some advice from the Internet as there are no instructions, as usual, with this figurine so you're left pretty much to yourself. It seems that these trolls always have red colour skin. Fortunately I already had a pack of Andrea red paintsso I had all the shades of red needed to give definition to the skin.

Now I started off on painting those figurines that had been in the box for at least a year. In fact they were stored in our storage room so I had to travel down there to retrieve them. First up came quite large Fantasy figure from Dark Star. This is a goblin called Gobsaki. He has a predominantly green skin so yet again I had to go off to buy a set of paints. This time it was a scale 75 set called Natures green paint set. This set is used for painting some of the steam punk figures thatScale75 make but it was a very useful set of paints for my green goblin. He was half completed and was painted in completely the wrong colours so I gave him a full coat of Tamiya white primer and started again. I had some fun with this because there was some tartan type painting on the top of the sword sheaths which needed some very careful touching in with the smallest brushes that I had. In fact it all worked out very well and I'm very pleased with the result

The next thing I worked on was a native American chief. Unfortunately I have lost the box for this item so I had no idea on the manufacturer and have no idea on be original figure. This meant that I had to make up the colours to be used. I did make it simpler by painting his chest cover,which I presume was made from beads, in a single colour rather than separate coloured lines. I'm not very happy with this figure as the face has been moulded with very deep features and also looks very like Captain Peacock from "Are you being served." This disturbs me - grin. Anyway I continued with it and finished it so it is another one that I can put on the shelf and forget about.

My next project is to complete the Tommies War figure of a private in the 10th Scottish Italian Kings (Liverpool Regiment )1916 but I will cover that in the next blog entry

No comments: