This time, I could paint the car white first - not all the car of course, because all of the other decals were already on, so just the bonnet area. However, firstly, I had to get all of the old paint off first. After a while with degrees of sanding sticks and some IPA, I was able to get it clear and clean.
I then gave all of the affected area a coat of white.
With it all looking hunky-dory, I then masked out the stripes and painted the final blue top coat. However, I had a disaster when taking the masking tape off. I had previously coated the car with Klear to protect the decals. Ha! Half of the number 3 on the right hand side of the car peeled off with the tape. Fortunately, I had three white circles from the Fujimi decals so this wasn't to big a disaster. I managed to remove the rest of the decal fairly easily and, as I had to make one 3 up anyway, making two wasn't going to be an issue. It was when I took off the masking tape that I decided that I could build something else for a while and let this one get out of my hair. Have a look.
Oh well, that makes two unfinished cars in the cupboard. I think what I will do, when the time comes, is to buy another kit and redo the body from scratch. I still won't have the number 3 but...